The Old School Building
On December 6 and 7 the Gibby House of the Arcade Historical Society entertained 541 children and 76 adults from the Arcade Elementary School. It was their annual visit to see the holiday decorations, the two Christmas trees decorated by 3rd and 4th graders and the exhibit of toys - this year, toys from 1962.
Even with all of that to look at, the item that brought the most "awwwws" and "wows" was a photo of their school circa 1920. The taller white portion of the buildng was the original "Arcade Academy" opened in 1863. The brick addition to the left was built in 1900. Both buildings were torn down for a new school in 1927. The other item in the photo that impressed them was the cannon (one of two) that sat on the front lawn.
A scale model of the cannon was shown to the children too. The cannon are no longer in front of the school, as they were sold for scrap during the WWII scrap drive. Mr. Gibby made the model cannon and mounted it to a piece of wood that came from the Arcade Academy bell tower so that we would never forget them.
Also in this photo are two people - we know not who - sitting on top of the bell tower! The Congregational Church is barely visible in the background.